Radio legend John Laws announces retirement

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Legend of Australian radio, John Laws, has announced his retirement from the industry after a 13-year stint at 2SM in Sydney. The announcement brings to a close more than 70 years in radio for Laws.

If you’re thinking you heard this news a long time ago, you’re right. This is actually the second time Laws has signalled the end of his radio career, the first coming in 2007 when he was at 2UE.

Laws has cut a controversial figure across the Australian talk-back radio market and was often in conflict with his long-time rival Alan Jones at 2GB. Whether you agreed with his opinions or not, he certainly tapped into the thinking of a significant part of the population.

Announcing his retirement on his show, Laws said this time his retirement would be final.
      “When I call it a day, it’ll be a day,” he said.

“I’m not going to go away and then come back again and say, ‘Oh it was all a mistake’. It may well be a mistake that there’ll be no return. No return, that’s it.”

We’ll see if he actually keeps to his word this time.

ronjohn
      Participant

No, not sorry to see him go, he is a prick

Kiri
      Participant

I thought he had retired years ago. Or died. Obviously I haven’t had to listen to him – awful man.

[email protected]
      Participant

Used to listen to Law’sy when I was based in Liverpool in the Army 1968/9 “keeping the dream alive” Congratulations John enjoy you retirement. Cheers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.